Tax Glossary UK - Glossario Tasse Imposte Fiscale UK

Home | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V 

  - S -  

Salary and Wages

Regular amounts of income paid to you by your employer under your contract of service, often weekly, 4weekly or calendar monthly.


Generally refers to deposits made with a bank or building society, also includes investments in shares, unit trusts and so on.

Does not include land and property held as an investment.

Savings Institutions

Organisations which you can use to look after your savings. Includes banks, building societies and so on as well as friendly societies and similar organisations.

Savings Rate Tax

It's the rate of tax on "savings income".


Acronym for Save As You Earn.


A certificate of deduction of tax used in the construction industry if a contractor has deducted tax from payments to subcontractors. 

If you are a subcontractor, contractors must deduct tax from payments they make to you for your labour (but not from payments for materials) unless you hold a subcontractor's exemption certificate.

Scale Benefit Charge

If you are provided with a car by your employer and you are also provided with fuel which you can use for private motoring, you are taxed on the fuel benefit according to a scale charge set for each tax year.

A scale benefit charge also arises if you are provided with a mobile telephone which you can use for private calls.

Schedular System of Taxation

The tax system divides income into different categories known as schedules.

These are based on the underlying source of income.

Schedules may be further subdivided into cases.

Each schedule has its own rules for calculating its taxable income.


See Schedular System of Taxation.

Scrip Dividends

A dividend which you elect to receive in the form of shares instead of cash.

Scrip Issue

A free issue of shares to existing shareholders in proportion to their existing shares.

Commonly called a bonus issue.


The system under which you are required to complete a Tax Return and calculate your tax liability for the year.

Provided you submit your Tax Return by 30 September, you can ask the Inland Revenue to prepare the tax calculation for you. 

Selfassessment is enforced by a system of automatic penalties for failing to file Tax Returns as well as the addition of interest on any unpaid tax.


You are selfemployed if you are in business on your own account.

Self-Employed Contributions

Contributions made by the selfemployed.

Normally refers to contributions you make to a retirement annuity contract or personal pension plan.

Selling Costs

The costs of selling a capital asset, such as land and property, shares and so on. Includes charges made by auctioneers, stockbrokers, estate agents, solicitors and so on.

Seminar and Conference Fees

Fees you pay for attending seminars and conferences.

If you are selfemployed and the seminar or conference is related to your business, the fees are tax deductible.

If you are an employee and your employer sends you to a conference or seminar this is not a taxable benefit.


You are separated if, although still married, you are no longer living together with your spouse.


Acronym for State Earnings Related Pension Scheme.


A trust, or any disposition, arrangement or transfer of assets made with gratuitous intent.

This is a wide ranging term and covers anything you do which has an element of gift.


A person who transfers assets into a trust, or who makes a settlement.

Share Disposals

The selling or giving away of shares owned by you to another person.

Share Dividends

A dividend which you have elected to receive in shares instead of cash.

Share Option Schemes

Schemes under which you are granted options enabling you to buy shares at a set price and at a set time or within a set period.

The schemes may be approved by the Inland Revenue, in which case they will have certain tax reliefs or they can be unapproved by the Inland Revenue.

Share Options

Rights given to you which entitle you to acquire shares at a set price and at a set time or within a set period.

Share Related Benefits

Benefits which you get from shares you hold in the company you are employed by.

An example is vouchers.

Share Schemes

Schemes where you can obtain shares in the company you are employed by, normally on preferential terms.

Certain schemes, if approved by the Inland Revenue, enjoy certain tax advantages for you the employee.


The ownership of a company is divided between its members who will each own a number of shares in that company.

There can be different types of members (shareholders) with different rights represented by different classes of shares.

Shares Acquired

Shares acquired by reason of your employment may be taxable.

The amount taxable is based on the increase in the value of your shares in the period after you acquired them, where the shares had either restrictions on them, or they were in a subsidiary company.

Special benefits you receive by owning the shares may also be taxable.

Shares as Benefits

If you do not pay the full price for shares you receive from your employment you are normally taxed on the undervalue (the difference between the value of the shares and the amount you pay).

If you have not been taxed, then you are treated as if you had been made an interest free loan of this amount.

You will be taxed on the interest benefit.

Shares Received from your Employment

Shares which you received because you were an employee.

If you do not pay the full price for the shares you receive, you will be taxable on the undervalue (the difference between the value of the shares and the amount you pay).

You will also be taxable if you received the shares subject to restrictions, the tax charge applying to the increase in value of the shares when the restrictions are lifted.

Simpler Basis

The simpler basis of calculating your motoring costs allows you to use mileage rates published by the Inland Revenue called the Fixed Profit Car Scheme rates.

The rate varies according to the cylinder capacity of your car and a higher rate is used for the first 4,000 business miles.

Single Parent's Allowance

This is an additional allowance that you can claim if you are single, separated, divorced or widowed and have a child living with you.

The child must be under 16 or in full time education or training.

You can only claim one allowance and the amount you claim may be restricted if you marry or separate during the tax year. 

Exceptionally, you may be able to claim the allowance if your spouse is unable to care for him/herself because of illness or a disability.

Social Security Benefit

A benefit received from the Department of Social Security (DSS).

There are many types of benefits that are available. Benefits may be based on national insurance contributions that you have paid, or on your needs if you are elderly, disabled or on a low income.

If you think you may beentitled to any, ask the Benefits Agency of the DSS.

Social Security Payments

Payments made to you by the Department of Social Security.

These payments may be based on national insurance contributions that you have paid or on your needs if you are elderly, disabled or on a low income.

Social Security Pension

Pensions paid to you by the Department of Social Security.

Your entitlement to such a pension depends on your national insurance contributions and whether you have contributed towards an earnings related pension.

See also State Earnings Related Pension.

Special Commissioners

The Special Commissioners sit as a tribunal to hear disputes between the Inland Revenue and taxpayers.

They are professionally qualified and normally hear disputes of a technical nature.

Other disputes are heard by the General Commissioners.

Specific Legacies

A legacy (a gift left in a will) such as a sum of cash or property.

Does not include gifts of residue (the remaining assets of the estate after paying inheritance tax, administration expenses and specific legacies).

Splityear Treatment

You are either resident or not resident in the UK for a whole tax year.

However "splityear" treatment is a concessionary treatment that may be available if you come to, or leave, the UK part of the way through the tax year.

Split View

Split View divides the working areain half horizontally.

This view enables you to see the Inland Revenue Form you are currently working on in the lower frame as you answer interview questions in the top frame.

An adjustable bar, used to resize the frames, separates the top and bottom frame.

Starting Rate Tax

It's the starting rate of income tax.

State Earnings Related Pension

You will receive an increased state pension if you are a contractedin employee earning above the national insurance lower earnings limit.

State Pensions

Pensions paid to you by the Department of Social Security.

Your entitlement depends on national insurance contributions you have made and whether you have contributed towards an earnings related pension.

State Retirement Pension

It's paid by the Department of Social Security.

Statement of Account

Statement that you will receive from the Inland Revenue showing the payments of tax you are to pay as well as any payments you have already made to the Inland Revenue.

Statutory Maternity Pay

Paid to you if you are on maternity leave because you are pregnant or have recently had a baby.

Normally paid by your employer, but occasionally paid by the Department of Social Security.

Statutory Sick Pay

Paid to you if you are unable to work because of sickness.

Normally paid by your employer but occasionally paid by the Department of Social Security.


Raw materials used in your business for and goods bought for resale, which you have on hand.

Stock Dividends

A dividend which you have elected to receive in shares instead of cash.

Stock or Scrip Dividends

A dividend which you have elected to receive in shares instead of cash.

Stock Raw

Unprocessed materials bought in by a business for processing (manufacturing).

Step by Step Interview

Completing your Tax Return stepbystep by answering several sets of interview questions.

TaxSaver then uses your answers to these questions to complete the appropriate Inland Revenue Forms.


People who carry out work for other people.

The term is usually used to refer to workers in the building industry.

Tax is deducted at source from payments for labour made to subcontractors in the construction industry unless the subcontractor has an exemption certificate.


Amounts you pay regularly to belong to a trade union or association, professional body or club.

Surplus Allowance

The unused part of your married couple's allowance and/or blind person's allowance that arises because of insufficient income. It can be transferred to your spouse.

AVVERTENZE D'UTILIZZO: Il presente glossario contiene una definizione dei termini più utilizzati in ambito fiscale e d'imposte nel Regno Unito.
La spiegazione di ciascuno dei termini indicati in questo glossario è di carattere meramente orientativo e priva di valore legale; si raccomanda, quindi, di tenere conto del contesto e dell'evento in cui essi vanno applicati, in quanto il significato loro attribuito potrebbe differire rispetto a quello qui rappresentato.

AVVERTENZE LEGALI - Il contenuto del sito web "" è di carattere puramente divulgativo e, pertanto, non costituisce offerta diretta al pubblico e non intende in alcun modo favorire reati fiscali, riciclaggio di denaro, esportazione di capitali, terrorismo ed altri illeciti. Nessuno dei nostri servizi è svolto direttamente in Italia; su richiesta, è possibile unicamente il contatto con professionisti regolarmente abilitati, nostri referenti, dietro rilascio di fattura e regolare pagamento anticipato. La navigazione di questo sito web è subordinata alla conoscenza e piena accettazione delle nostre condizioni di erogazione dei servizi e dell'informativa sul trattamento dei dati.